Friday, March 2, 2018

Your Birth Story!



Sweet Edie- Welcome! 
   I hope that this blog will help your Daddy and I remember the big moments of your life, but also the small moments that will be so easy to forget. We hope that one day we can look back on this blog and share it with you. 

  At our 39 week appointment (Wednesday, February 21, 2018) with Dr. Wilkes, they decided that it was best to schedule an induction for you. So that day we scheduled an induction for your due date, Friday, February 23rd, 2018 at 8am.  That night, we went to a Japanese restaurant for dinner- two scared but excited people celebrating our second-to-last evening as a couple without a child. That night, Billy didn't sleep well- apparently I, in my very pregnant state, was keeping him up one way or another.  Thursday morning, he got up a little before 5am, which woke me up extra early for work. While I was getting ready, I noticed that he and Hera sneaked back to bed- a rude move that I made sure to point out!

 I went to work. I already told my bosses that it was going to be my last day since your induction was scheduled for the following. In fact, I had already worked so many extra hours that I only needed to work until noon. Convinced that this was going to be an easy day, I was eager to get it started and over with! 

  Unfortunately, it turned out to be an extremely busy day with lots of issues. I was so stressed out that I didn't have time to eat or drink anything all day. Around 10am, I started to feel some pains in my lower stomach, which I attributed to perhaps some bad food from last night's dinner; however,  as the morning continued I began to notice that these pains came and went with some regularity and I nervously started to realize that there was a chance these were contractions. But- I had work I had to finish- things that I needed to tie up! I ignored the pains until I was able to wrap everything up at work, said goodbye to my coworkers (who were now aware that I was possibly in labor at that point) and scurried home around 3pm. 

  On my way home, I called your Nana and asked her what contractions felt like. She gave me a few descriptions, all of which sounded like what I was having. When I told her that they were about 6 minutes apart she informed me that it was probably time for me to get to a hospital!! When I arrived home, I had a very concerned Billy waiting for me (I texted him earlier in the day and said "Don't freak out, but I think I am having contractions...."). In sheer denial- I informed him that I was NOT going into labor- after all.. we had too many things to do around the house to prepare for your arrival the next day! So, I sat down and had lunch, we did laundry, we picked up the house. All the while, the pains in my stomach were getting worse and more frequent- all of which Billy tracked closely on an app on his phone, a job he took very seriously. 

At around 4:30 Billy called  Dr. Wilkes and she said we should probably go to the hospital to get checked out. At that point Billy insisted that we go to the hospital and after a while of stubbornly telling him that it was just bad sushi from the night before, I finally agreed. While we finished getting our hospital bags together and packing the car, I remained convinced that this was all for nothing- we would be turned away and sent back home- although there must have been a little part of me that knew you were coming...because I began to really realize that these were the last moments of our family as we had known it up until that point.. Billy, Hera, Pepper, and myself. Although I was so excited to have you, I also loved our little family of four and found myself sad to say goodbye to it. Tears were shed, we hugged each other and Billy reassured me that all was going to be okay, we said our goodbyes to the cats, and, in what felt like a rush, we were off to the hospital. 

We checked in and were led to a small room. Although I was 4 cm dilated, they weren't quite ready to admit me yet. Dr. Wilkes suggested that I walk for an hour. This was awful. Billy and I roamed the extremely confusing 3rd floor of the Mary Washington Hospital for what felt like an eternity! I looked outstanding in both of my hospital gowns (one forward facing, one backwards facing, and tennis shoes :) 


Waiting to be admitted to the hospital

When we returned to the room they checked us again. You had dropped a bit more and I was 6 cm dilated and they told us we were staying!  This was when the reality of the situation really hit both of us, I think. We were admitted into the labor and delivery room and introduced to our nurse, Aaron. Not too long afterwards, your Nana and PopPop arrived. Your Aunt Cindy also made the trek to Fredericksburg that night. Although the hours in the labor and delivery room are a bit of a blur to me, I do know that they were all able to come back to the room and visit. It meant a lot to have them there. 


We're Admitted! I guess we're doing this!


Around 9pm, I received an epidural. I had been very nervous and anxious about receiving the epidural- but Billy, Aaron, and the anesthesiologist were very good about calming and relaxing me.  It hurt badly and this was the only time I cried while in labor, but the relief was almost instantaneous.  Around 11:45pm the decision was made to start pushing.  The first time I pushed I let all my air out and Aaron said "okay! That was great! Now... next time try holding your breath."  Clearly I'd done it wrong. A little after midnight, labor had progressed enough that Dr. Wilkes felt like you were about to be born! I have a vivid memory of her and Aaron putting scrubs and gloves. With one glove on, Dr. Wilkes received a phone call. Apparently another one of her patients was downstairs in the emergency room about to give birth to a baby so she ran off to check out that situation. I continued to push with Aaron and Billy by my side. Billy asked "so, what happens if the baby comes while Dr. Wilkes is away?" to which Aaron replied "Oh don't worry, there's a dr. here on staff that will come in and deliver the baby." We had several more pushes.. I remember Billy saying that he could see your head. During the next contraction I pushed once, during the second push I saw Aaron fumbling for his phone and he called someone and during third push he said "where are you? we're about to have a baby in here!" And with that you were born- you came into this world at 12:22 on February 23rd with a very brief cry after just half an hour of pushing.  Aaron put you on my chest and I cried and looked up at Billy in complete disbelief that our sweet little baby girl was really here. Almost immediately a few nurses came in to take your vitals; you weighed in at 7lbs 4oz and were 19.25 inches long. A few minutes later Dr. Wilkes arrived- she had apparently missed the delivery in the emergency room by mere minutes and she had also missed this one. But Aaron and Billy did great and didn't even need the Dr!! 

And just like that... in an instant we were a family of three (five including the cats!). Billy stood next to my side and held my hand assuring me of how great I had done.  Dr Wilkes came over and examined me while the nurse had taken you over to the station in the room where they weighed and examined you. The nurse that had ran in when Aaron called for assistance during the delivery asked if Billy wanted to cut your cord.  He hesitated, but did go after they reassured him that you wouldn't feel any pain.  I remember just watching Billy stand over little area where they were weighing you- it was clear that he was entirely smitten with you from the moment you were born. The nurses inspected you.  One thing they required was that you cry so they could ensure your airways were clear.  The nurse tickled your feet, pulled on your arms all in an effort to get you to give them another cry.  The brave baby you were, you refused.  It wasn't until they put the cold stethrascope to your chest to listen to your heart and lungs that you cried.  This was observed again when the pediatrician examined you in the room later in the day on Friday, February 23rd.  Regardless, nothing could have described the joy we felt when you came into our lives.  We are so glad you are here, baby and we love you very much.  

Love, 
Your Mommy
Your first picture with Daddy and Mommy.
Daddy Holding You Shortly After You Were Born. 
Getting Your Vitals Checked.
Little Feet.

Our First Skin-to-Skin Bonding Time.

Protective Daddy Making Sure They Take Care of You.


No comments:

Post a Comment